JP's Internal Medicine Page

I'm an internal medicine doctor working as a nocturnist. Sometimes I like to make things with python but most of my life is medicine and raising my young family. I have many posts about teaching my toddler to read at a younger age than is probably wise.

Predict Survival in Advanced Cancer

Other Things I've Made:
ECG Viewer Bobcat Mountain Text Adventure Demo

Medical Blogs I Like:
Dr. Smith's ECG Blog ECG Maven The Number Needed to Treat

Blog Postings:

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Out of the water

The last time I posted things were in a rut, but now they have turned around a bit.  I can't exactly pinpoint what changed but I'll list a couple things.

First, we have been playing more of our version of "Munchkin", and he seems to enjoy the cards more.  I've noticed that he still gets lower case "b" and "d" (and sometimes "p") mixed up.  I fixed our printer (ie had the printer clean the nozzles) and printed out the next set of "Flesch Cards".  In hindsight, it was long overdue to move beyond the first set.  He liked cutting out the new cards (we got him scissors and he's all about cutting paper) and wanted to read the new cards.  He also understands now a lot more when I explained to him the theme of the cards (ie, these all have "e" in them, so they make the "ehh" sound).

Next is that I was at Costco and saw that they had a deal on six "Biscuit" books for 10 dollars.  I had read that these were great reading introduction books from reading a flyer at one of our local libraries so I went ahead and got them. Actually, I had previously borrowed from the library the first "Biscuit" book a couple months ago but didn't think it was that special at that time.  This time, however they have been really great for getting him to read independently.  The vocabulary in the books is more extensive than a "Bob" book, but interspersed throughout each story is the voice of Biscuit, who invariable says "Woof", or "Woof, woof!", or "Woof, woof! Woof, woof!".  This might sound boring but actually I saw it give a lot of confidence in pointing to the words and knowing what they said, so much so that it is easy for him to slide into the next sentence and read that out as well.

Thirdly to my surprise he's picked up how to spell simple CVC (consonant vowel consonant) words.  We discovered this on accident by spelling some words and he said them.  Today, I quizzed him because I didn't really believe my wife, and he was able to tell me what C/B/R/S-A-T and G-O and M-O-M.

Now, if only I could find a way to get him to stop saying "butt, butt, butt, butt" every time he wants to be funny....


No comments:

Post a Comment


Any questions, comments, critiques? I'd love to hear from people at jpmax7 at gmail.com