JP's Internal Medicine Page

I'm an internal medicine doctor working as a nocturnist. Sometimes I like to make things with python but most of my life is medicine and raising my young family. I have many posts about teaching my toddler to read at a younger age than is probably wise.

Predict Survival in Advanced Cancer

Other Things I've Made:
ECG Viewer Bobcat Mountain Text Adventure Demo

Medical Blogs I Like:
Dr. Smith's ECG Blog ECG Maven The Number Needed to Treat

Blog Postings:

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Three month post

A bunch of good things.

First of all, I have finished my first "real" project, a prognostication tool that compares multiple prognostic models in advanced cancer patients.  I have it hosted on pythonanywhere.com which has been great, and I actually bought a real domain name for it as well.

The website is here, not that anybody is reading this blog or really going to find it through here:


I learned quite a bit more about how setting up a site works, more html, a lot more css, a fair bit of easy flask and python (I haven't yet really taken advantage of the power of flask to make a dynamic site or use databases).  In reality, this site is just a calculator.

With respect to reading, JT has been making great strides.  I think it has helped that I have consciously backed off on pushing him to read and will just read to him.  Having books that he likes to read over and over again help a lot too.  Some books he has recently read by himself:

The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree (he is really on a Berenstain Bears kick)

He still has a tendency to try and guess a word based on the first couple of letters and the context rather than sound things out. He has quite a sight word registry as well which is mostly what he uses, but he is also more open to sounding out words and does a pretty good job of it.

We've also been working on some new games that I thought I'd share.

"Word Builders"
-We are trucks who go to the pile of letters and bring them to the boss, who asks for a word to be made.  The boss usually asks for limiting factors like "three letters" or "has the letter H in it".  Then he sounds out the word


No comments:

Post a Comment


Any questions, comments, critiques? I'd love to hear from people at jpmax7 at gmail.com